Gregorian S M Tu W Th F S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Monday October 28 The sessions ended at the Old-Bailey, when the fix following malefactors received sentence of death, viz. Charles Fleming, for robbing a gentleman of a gold watch near Harrow; William Cottum, for stealing a gelding; Thomas James, for picking a gentleman’s pocket of a handkerchief; John Massey, for housebreaking ; Lyonell Ricolus, for stealing a silver tankard; and Thomas Rols for robbing Mrs. Turton of five shillings near Newington-Green.
Marriages and Births
October 27, the lady of Peter Delme, Esq. of a daughter.
October 29, Pter Auriol, Esq., an eminent merchant of this city.
The Monthly Catalogue, for October 1754
- Enchiridion Syntaxeos Lilianae constrictius: Or, an Epitome of Lilly’s Syntax. By Mr. S. Chadwicke, pr. 1 Crowder and Woodgate.
- Salmon’s Universal Traveller, No. 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118. Pr. 6d each. Baldwin.
- Maitland’s History of London, No. 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42. Pr. 6d. each. Baldwin
- A Scheme to Prevent the Running of Wool by Mr. Bradshaw, pr. 1 Griffiths.
- A Tour thro’ Normandy in the Year 1752, pr. 1s 6 Woodyer.
- Oraison Funebre de Frederic Roi de Suede, pr. 6 Brotherton.
- An Appeal to the Publick; or, A Review of the Conduct of Dr. A—ton towards Dr. Pigot, pr. 1 Baldwin.
- The City Director, pr. 1 Cooper.
- A Candid Enquiry why the Natives of Ireland are so addicted to Gaming, pr. 6 Dowie.
- A Guide to English Pronunciation and Orthography. By S. Hammond, pr. 1 Field.
- The Speech of Lord Visc. Preston to the Antigallicans, pr. 6 Robinson
- Serious Considerations on the Affairs of the Northern Colonies. By A. Kennedy, Esq., pr. 6 Griffiths.
- A Review of Lord Bolingbroke’s Philosophy, pr. 2 Knaptons.
- The World. By Mr. Fitz-Adam. No. 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94.
- The Connoisseur. By Mr. Town. No. 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38.
Physic and Science
- The Principles of Mechanicks; with 32 Copper-Plates. By W. Emerson. In one Vol. 8vo. pr. 7s 6 in boards. Innys.
- The Commentaries on the Aphorisms of Dr. H. Boerhave. By G. Van Swieten, M.D. Translated into English, Vol. 9, 10, 11, pr. 15 Knaptons.
- A New and Easy Guide to the Use of the Globes. By D. Fenning, pr. 2s 6 Hodges.
- The Theory of the Apsides in General and of the Apsides of the Moon’s Orbit in Particular. By D.C. Walmsley, B.A. pr. 1s 6 Owen.
- A Treatise on Gangrenes. By T. Kirkland, pr. 1s 6 Griffiths.
Poetry and Entertainment
- Memoirs of the Shakespear’s Head in Covent-Garden. In two Vols. 12mo. pr. 6 Noble.
- A Commercial Epistle, with Notes. By Mr. Lockman, pr. 6 G. Woodfall.
- Poems on Several Occasions, Never Before Printed, pr. 1 Crowder and Woodgate.
- The Persian Tales. A New Translation. By Edward Button, Gent. pr. 3 Owen.
- The Marriage Act, a Novel. In two Vols. pr. 6 Hodges.
- The Travels of Mr. Drake Morris, Merchant of London, Containing his Sufferings and Distresses in several Voyages at Sea, pr. 3 Baldwin.
- Twenty-two Sermons upon several Occasions. By Benjamin [Hadley], Lord Bishop of Winchester. In one Vol. 8vo. pr. 5 Knaptons.
- A Sermon occasioned by the Sudden Death of the Rev. Mr. Samuel Solin. By S. Blyth, pr. 6 Bourn.
- A Sermon on the Death of Mrs. Mary Robarts. By J. Stennett, D.D. pr. 6 Ward.
- A Sermon at the School-Feast at Bishop-Stortford, Aug. 15, 1754. By R. Bullock, A.M. pr. 6 Beecroft.
- A Sermon before the Governors of the Infirmary in Newcastle. By T. Dockwray, M.A. pr. 6 Bathurst.